Right-of-Way Permits

Right-of-Way (ROW) or "public way" means all property in which the City has any form of ownership or title, including easements, and which is held for public roadway or utility purposes, regardless of whether or not any roadway or utility physically exists or whether it is used, improved or maintained for public use.

Work Requiring a Right-of-Way Permit

Unless exempt from permit requirements in Spokane Valley Municipal Code (SVMC) 22.130.100, a ROW permit is required of any person or company who performs construction work or otherwise engages in activity within existing City ROW, or on City-owned infrastructure.

Traffic Control Plans

A traffic control plan (TCP) is required for the closure of more than 50% of the width of any street or if working on an arterial street. The City has pre-approved the use of TCPs issued by WSDOT and the City, which can be found below:

Apply for a Permit

Please use the Online Permit Portal to apply for a Right-of-Way permit. If you do NOT wish to use the online portal, use the application form below:

Fee Payment

Please follow this process for fee payment when submitting permit applications:

  • Identify fees that need to be paid when application is submitted; view current permit fees (PDF). Payments can be made by credit card or check. There is a 2.5% credit card/online convenience fee. Fees must be paid prior to permit application being processed.
  • Mail or walk the applications and fees to:
    Spokane Valley City Hall:
    10210 E Sprague Avenue
    Spokane Valley, WA 99206
  • Email materials to the Permit Center and call 509-720-5240 regarding fee payment.