Street Vacation

The term "vacation" means the complete or partial abandonment or termination of the public right to use a street, highway, or public service easement.

The owners of an interest in any real property abutting any public street or alley who may desire to vacate the street or alley, or any part thereof, may petition the city council. In the alternative, the City Council may itself initiate a vacation by resolution.
It is recommended you contact the City’s Public Works Department and speak with the City’s Senior Traffic Engineer for information regarding the street you are requesting to vacate. Then proceed by submitting a formal application.

Following a public hearing held with the Planning Commission, the City Council makes the formal determination regarding the vacation of a street.

You may find the requirements and application process in the Spokane Valley Municipal Code (SVMC) 22.140.


Contact Us

Please email the Permit Center or call 509-720-5240 for more information. We are available Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm.